The National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) is a project funded by MHRD, Government of India. The project was initiated by seven Indian Institutes of Technology (Bombay, Delhi, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, Guwahati and Roorkee) along with the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore in 2003. The main objective of the project is to offer a high quality web based course on various engineering disciplines and core science for the students, faculties and industry persons.
With the implementation of the project, NPTEL enables the participants to obtain certificates which mold them to be employable in the industry or pursue a suitable higher education programme.
NPTEL is offering the online courses with a timeline of 4, 8-, or 12-weeks through an online portal. All the courses are relevant to students in all years of higher education along with basic core courses in sciences and humanities with exposure to relevant tools and technologies, are being offered. The enrolment to and learning from these courses involves no cost. Following these online courses, If someone wants to get a certificate from the IITs/IISc after doing the course, he/she should register for the in-person proctored certification exam that is conducted in about 100 cities across India in collaboration with an exam partner. The certification exam is not free but has a nominal fee of Rs 1100. Final score=25% assignment score + 75% exam score. To be eligible for a certificate, the learner should have scored >=40% final score. E-verifiable certificates are made available on nptel.ac.in/noc and hard copies are also dispatched to the candidates.
ABOUT SONA NPTEL
NPTEL partners with around 2214 colleges as on date in the form of NPTEL Local chapters. Our institution had started the SONA NPTEL Local chapter in the year 2015. Since the inception, SONA NPTEL Local chapter have consistently motivated their students and faculty to enroll for NPTEL certification courses. As a outcome, our institution is consequently securing “AA [Within TOP 11-50]” rank for past 5 runs. Also, Dr.J.Senthilkumar, Prof/IT, SPoC – SONA NPTEL local chapter has received the certification of appreciation from NPTEL for his instrumental role in promoting the NPTEL courses effectively in the college.
BENEFITS OF NPTEL COURSE CERTIFICATE
- Inculcate mode of self learning and get access to lectures of IIT/IISc Distinguished Faculty
- Evaluate themselves on how they compare against the pool of student national wide
- The certificates issued bear the stamp of CCE, IIT and hence are valuable additions when the student is applying for jobs.
- Companies can also dig into this pool of candidates with specialized skills – in case they wish to recruit.
- On successful completion of advanced NPTEL course by the faculties, AICTE approves as FDP so that they can get the points for the same. This FDP certificate is given full consideration for promotions under CAS as per AICTE notification.
- Students can use the NPTEL programmes for GATE and High Studies preparation
- Many of premier institution are considers the completion of NPTEL courses for credit transfer [4 Weeks – 1 Credit, 8 Weeks -2 Credit and 12 Weeks – 3 Credit]
- Certificates recognized by Companies and research centre to give internship opportunity.
SPoC of SONA NPTEL LOCAL CHAPTER