Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
Sona College of Technology, Salem – 636 005. India.
91 - 427 - 2443545, 4099999 Ext: 4099720
||Institute / University
||Name of the Degree
||Govt. College of Engineering, Salem
||Govt. College of Engineering, Salem
||Power Electronics and drives
||Anna University of Technology, Coimbatore
||Induction Motor Drives
Employment Record (from present to previous)
Sona College of Technology, Salem
||Arunai College of Engg, Tiruvanamalai
Academic and Professional Honors
- ISTE State level Periyar Award for the Best Engineering College Teacher for the Year 2014 from the ISTE TN&P Section.
- Best Women Engineer Award -2012 by Institution of Engineers (India), Salem local centre.
- Best Faculty Award for the Academic year 2010-2011 in the EEE Stream from the Nehru Group of Institutions on 15-12-2011.
- Best Women Engineer Award -2012 by Institution of Engineers (India),Salem local centre.
- Received Distinguished Alumnus Award from Thiagarajar Polytechnic college in the women’s day celebration held on 6th march 2013.
- Received the grade of IEEE Senior member from IEEE President on Feb 2013.
- Best Research Paper Award for the Research Paper entitled as “An Intelligent Speed Controller For Indirect Vector Controlled Induction Motor Drive” International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Computing Research (ICCIC’10) held on Dec 2010 at TCE, Coimbatore. The Paper Appears in IEEE Xplore.
- Principal Investigator of the Project titled “Modeling, Simulation of Control Actuation system” sanctioned under the Grant – in- aid research project of DRDO for an amount of 30.1 Lakhs.
- Serving as Staff in charge for PICO Satellite subsystem funded by IE(I).
- Reviewer of the manuscripts submitted to International Journal of Power electronics, EPE Journal and International Journal of computer and Electrical Engineering.
- Editorial Committee member of International Journal of Electronics communication and Electrical Engineering, International Journal of Soft computing and Engineering.
- Research Publication Award for the Publication of Research Paper in Impact Factor Journal in the year 2010 and 2011.
- Appreciation Awards for Producing 100% and 95% and above Results in University Exams
- Received Travel grant fund from TNSCST & CSIR towards to present the research paper in 7th IEEE Industrial Electronics & Application conference on July 18 – 20th 2012 at Singapore.
- UG project-2012 project title “Solar Powered Weapon Handling Robots in Defence system” got third place in JED-I Project Challenge Award at IISC Bangalore.
- Certificate of Appreciation from 7th IEEE Industrial Electronics & Application conference on July 18 – 20th 2012 at Singapore for contribution as session Chair.
- Received a sum of more than Rs.4 lakhs for conducting seminars, workshops and conferences from various government bodies like IEEE,ISTE,CSIR and Anna university.
- Sub-Committee Member for Energy Cell, IE (I) Salem Local Centre, 2013-14.
- International Journal Papers : 26
- International Conference Papers : 26
- National Conference Papers : 05
- Awards : 09
- Seminars/ Conferences organized : 13
- Seminars/ Conferences/workshops/training attended : 12
- Books Authored : 06
Teaching : 15 years
Research : 8 years
Industry : 2 years
Membership Professional Bodies
- ISTE Life Member-- LM35424
- IEEE - SM-80652683 (Senior member)
- IEI Member- F-120153-7(Fellow Member)
Projects during Studies
Ph.D Research Title : An Intelligent Speed Controller for Space Vector Modulated Induction Motor Drives.
M.E Title : A Novel Method of Power Conversion using Z Source Inverter.
B.E Title : Dynamic Braking of an Induction Motor.
- Arulmozhiyal.R and Baskaran.K “A Novel Approach to Induction Motor speed control using FPGA”, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, Vol. 4, No.1,Jan 2009, pp. 1-14.
- R.Arulmozhiyal and Baskaran.K, “Space Vector Pulse Width Modulation Based Speed Control of Induction Motor Using Fuzzy PI Controller”, International Journal of Computer and Electrical Engineering, Vol. 1,No. 1, April 2009, pp. 98-103.
- Arulmozhiyal.R and Baskaran.K “Speed Control of Induction motor using Fuzzy PI and Optimized using GA”, International Journal of Recent Trends in Engineering, Vol. 2, No.5, Nov 2009, pp. 43-47.
- R.Arulmozhiyal and K.Baskaran, “Implementation of Fuzzy PI Controller for Speed Control of Induction Motor Using FPGA”, Journal of Power Electronics, Vol.10, No.1, Jan 2010, pp.65-71.
- R.Arulmozhiyal and K.Baskaran, “Real Time MATLAB Interface for Speed Control of Induction Motor Drive Using dsPIC 30F 4011”,International Journal on Computer Applications,Vol.1, No.5, Article No.12, Feb 2010, pp. 85-90.
- R.Arulmozhiyal and K.Baskaran, “ Performance Comparison of Fuzzy PI Controller with Conventional Controller for Speed Control of Induction Motor Drive”, International Journal of Systematic, cybernetics and Informatics, Vol.5, No. 2, April 2010, pp.34-40.
- R.Arulmozhiyal and K.Baskaran, “An Intelligent Speed Controller for Space Vector Modulated Induction Motor Drive,” International Review of Automatic Control, Vol.3, No.6, Nov 2010, pp.723- 733.
- R.Arulmozhiyal and K.Baskaran, “Optimized Neural Network based Speed control of Sensorless Induction Motor”, International Journal of Micro and Nano systems, Vol.2,No.1, Jan 2011 pp.59-63.
- R.Arulmozhiyal, C.Deepa and K.Baskaran,” Optimized Neuro PI Based Speed Control of Sensorless Induction Motor”, Lecture notes in computer Science, Springer, LNCS 7077, Dec 2011, pp 310-318.
- R.Arulmozhiyal and R.Kandiban, “Design of Adaptive Fuzzy PID Controller for Speed control of BLDC Motor”, International Journal of Soft computing and Engineering, Vol.2, No.1, March 2012 , pp. 386- 391.
- R.Arulmozhiyal and L.Venkatesan, “Labview Simulation of Speed Control of Induction Motor”, International Journal of Power System Operation and Energy Management, Vol.2, No:3, Nov 2012, pp.34-38.
- R.Arulmozhiyal and L.Venkatesan,” Speed Control of Induction Motor via PIC Controller using Lab View”, Advanced Materials Research, Energy Efficient Technologies for sustainability, Vol. no.768, September 2013,pp.359-363. doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.768.359
- R.Princelyn Jeba Kiruba and R.Arulmozhiyal,”Development of Computational Technique for better Utilization of Renewable Energy”, Advanced Materials Research,Vol. 768 (2013) pp 98-102. doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.768.98.
- R.Manikandan, K.R.Priyadharsini, and R.Arulmozhiyal “A Novel Fuzzy Logic Based Sensorless Speed Control of Position Sensorless BLDC Servo Drive”, International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering (IJRTE) ISSN: 2277-3878, Volume-2, Issue-6, January 2014,pp.51-58.
- R.Manikandan, Dr.R.Arulmozhiyal, and M.Sangeetha, “Sensorless Speed Control of FSTPI Fed Brushless DC Motor Drive Using Terminal Voltage Sensing Method”, International Journal of Soft Computing and Engineering (IJSCE) ISSN: 2231-2307, Volume-4, Issue-1, March 2014.
International Conference :
- Arulmozhiyal.R and K.Baskaran, “ ANN based current control of a voltage source PWM Inverter” , Proceedings of International Conference on Modeling and Simulation, MS’07 Kolkata , India, pp. 503-506, 2007.
- Arulmozhiyal.R. and Baskaran,K , “ A Novel Approach to Induction motor Speed Control using FPGA” Proceedings of International Conference on Energy Engineering (ICEE’ 09)pp.No.568-572.
- Arulmozhiyal.R. and Baskaran,K , “Space Vector Pulse Width Modulation Based Speed Control of Induction Motor Using Fuzzy PI Controller” Proceeding of International Conference on Electrical Energy systems and Power Electronics in Emerging Economies (ICEESPEEE’09), pp. 772-779, 2009.
- Arulmozhiyal.R. and Baskaran,K , “Space Vector Pulse Width Modulation Based Induction Motor Speed Control Using FPGA” Proceedings of International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering and Technology(ICETET’09), Paper Indexed in IEEE Xplore Digital Library with .
- Arulmozhiyal.R. and Baskaran,K , “SVM Based Vector Controlled Induction Motor Speed Control Drive Using Fuzzy PI Controller” Proceedings of International Conference on Advanced Energy and Conversion Technology (AECT’10), Manipal, pp. 404-408,2010.
- Arulmozhiyal.R. and Baskaran,K , “ An Intelligent Speed Controller For Indirect Vector Controlled Induction Motor Drive”, Proceedings of 2010 IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Computing Research, Paper Indexed in IEEE Xplore Digital Library with ISBN: 978-1-4244-5966-7/10, pp 465-469.
- Arulmozhiyal.R. and Baskaran,K , “ A Fuzzy Based PI Speed Controller For Indirect Vector Controlled Induction Motor Drive”, Proceedings of 2010 India International conference on power Electronics (IICPE 2010), New Delhi, Paper Indexed in IEEE Xplore Digital Library with ISBN:978-1-4244-7882-8/11.
- Arulmozhiyal.R. and Kandiban.R, “Design of Fuzzy PID Controller for Brushless DC Motor ”, Proceedings of 2012 International Conference on Computer communication and informatics (ICCCI- 2012), Coimbatore, Paper Indexed in IEEE Xplore Digital Library with ISBN:978-1-4577-1583-9/12.
- Arulmozhiyal. R and S.Chandiralekha. “ An Intelligent Speed Controller for Three Phase Switched Reluctance Motor”, Proceedings of 2012 International Conference on Computation of Power, Energy, Information and Communication (ICCPEIC-2012), with ISBN: 978-1-4675-2243-4 © 2012 Published by Coimbatore Institute of Information Technology.
- Arulmozhiyal.R. and Kandiban.R, “ An Intelligent speed controller for BLDC Motor ”, is accepted in 7th IEEE International Conference on Industrial Electronics and Application, 18- 20th July , Singapore. Paper Indexed in IEEE Xplore Digital Library with ISBN: 978-1-4577-2119-9/12.
- Arulmozhiyal.R and Ilakkia.T, “ An Intelligent Control Technique for Hybrid Renewable Energy Generation Systems for Minimizing Total Harmonic Distortion,” Proceedings of Innovations in Engineering and Technology for Sustainable Development (IETSD 2012), BIT, Sathy, ISBN:978-81-920-460-2-0.
- L.Venkatesan and Arulmozhiyal.R, “ Lab View Simulation for speed control of Induction Motor, ” Proceedings of International Conference on Control Communication & Computer Technology, 7th Oct 2012, Hyderabad, ISBN: 978-93-82208-27-3, pp 49-53.
- Arulmozhiyal.R, “Design and Implementation of Fuzzy PID Controller for BLDC Motor using FPGA. “Proceedings of International Conference on Power Electronics Drives and Energy Systems ”16th- 19th Dec 2012, Bangaluru. Paper Indexed in IEEE Xplore Digital Library with ISBN: 978-1-4673-4508-8/12/$31.00 ©2012 IEEE
- L.Venkatesan and Arulmozhiyal.R, “ Simulation Approach on Step Speed Control of Induction Motor using Labview”, Proceeding of 2013 International Conference on computer communication and informatics”, on 4th – 6th Jan 2013, Coimbatore. Paper Indexed in IEEE Xplore Digital Library with ISBN: 978-1-4673-2907-1/13.
- R.Arulmozhiyal, R.Manikandan, “Position Control of DC Servo Drive Using Fuzzy Logic Controller”, Proceeding of 1st International Conference on Advances in Electrical Engineering (ICAEE’14), VIT University, Tamilnadu, India. January 9-11, 2014.
- R.Arulmozhiyal, A.Arulprakash & M.Murali, “An ANFIS Powered Integrated System for Continuous power for a Domestic Load by harnessing Maximum Energy from the Solar and Wind Source”, Proceeding of ICAET’14, RIT Roorkee, India. May 24-25, 2014.
- Arulmozhiyal.R., “ A Novel Method of Power Conversion using Impedance Source Inverter”, National Conference on Recent Trends In Electrical Engineering at K.S.R. College of Technology, Tiruchengode, on 29-30th August 2005.
- Arulmozhiyal.R. , “ A New method of Power Conversion using Z- Source Inverter “, National Conference on Modern Trends in Electrical and Electronics Systems on 22-23rd March 2006.
- Arulmozhiyal.R., “Modeling and Design of Closed loop Controller for Z source Inverter for distributed Generation”, National Conference on Advance Energy Conversion Technologies on 23-24th March 2007.
- Arulmozhiyal.R, “Space Vector Pulse width Modulation based speed control of Induction Motor using Fuzzy PI Controller on Recent Advances in computer vision and information technology on 8th March 2009.
- Arulmozhiyal .R and Chandiralekha ,” Modeling and Design of Fuzzy PID Controller for Switched Reluctance Motor”, 26th Indian Engineering Congress on 16-18 Dec, 2011, Bangalore,India.
Books published in Sonaversity
- Electrical Engineering – June 2006
- Theory of Electric Circuits analysis – Computer Based Training Material July 2006
- Basic Electrical Engineering - Computer Based Training Material (CSE & IT) April 2007
- Basic Electrical Engineering - Computer Based Training Material (Mech) July 2008
- Power Electronics - Computer Based Training Material ( EEE – VI SEM) Dec 2013.
- Power Electronics- Computer Based Training Material Revised Edition (EEE – VI SEM) - Dec 2014.
- Participated in the “Pedagogical Training to Faculty from 6.6.2001 to 9.6.2001 held SCT, Salem.
- Participating in Workshop on “Advanced Electronics Measuring Instruments” Conducted by Sona & Agilent Tech on 7.3.2002.
- Participating in FDP on 10-14th June 2002, SCT, Salem.
- Participating Workshop on “Performing Communication Engineering Lab using Frequency Spectrum Analysis techniques” on 18.12.2002.
- Participating workshop on “Recent Advances in Medical Electronics” at Bannari Institute of Technology, Sathy on Jan 3-4 2003.
- Participating workshop on “Artificial Neural Networks”, at Sengunthar Engineering College, Tiruchengode on 2nd Sep 2008.
- Participating Seminar on “Emerging trends in Embedded controllers and it’s applications at K.S.R College of technology, Tiruchengode on 14-15 Nov 2008.
- Participating workshop on “Statistical tools and strategies for research scholars” at Sona College of Technology, on 26th June 2009.
- Participated in the 10th edition of Regional Summit on Quality In Education organized by CII, Coimbatore on 23 – 24 th November 2012.
Short Term Programme Attended
- AICTE –ISTE Programme on “ Modern Trends in Electrical Utilities – Metering and Protection from 3- 14 Nov 2003 at Kongu College of Engineering, Perundurai.
- AICTE – SDP Programme on “Research Methodology” during 18 – 30 Apr 2011 at Sona College of Technology, Salem.
- One week Short course on “Advance Control, Guidance and Navigation ” during 20- 26 Feb 2012 at Indian Institute of Science ( IISC) , Bangalore.
- One Week Coordinator Workshop on “ Analog Electronics” during 1st – 5th April,2013 at Indian Institute of Technology ( IIT ) , Kharagpur.
- Certificate of Appreciation produced 100% result in following subjects.
- Electric Circuit
- Power Electronics
- Electrical Machines II
- Special Electrical machines
- Neural networks & Fuzzy systems
- Analysis of power converter
- Digital Signal processors
- Produced the University rank holder for the year of 2009, 2010 in both UG and PG course.
- 15 Years of Teaching Experience.
- Experience in Handling Core Subjects like,
- UG Level PG Level
Electrical Machines Analysis of power converters
Electric Circuit Theory Analysis of Inverters
Power Electronics Solid State AC Drives
Measurements & Instrumentation Artificial Intelligent technique to power Electronics
Electric drives and control Power electronics application to Renewable energy systems
Special Electrical Machines
Neural networks and Fuzzy systems
Renewable Energy Sources
- Experience in Establishment / Maintenance as Lab in charge for AC Machines Lab and Power Electronics Lab.
- Experience in ISO and NBA Activities.
- Experience in Real time interface with hardware , MATLAB, LABVIEW,DSPACE and SPEEDGOAT.
- National Conference on “Innovative Strategy on Power System & Power Electronics Drives” on 16th March 2007.
- National level symposium – VISION 07 on 7th March 2007.
- International Conference on “Power Electronics Drives and Power Systems” on 20 – 21 March 2008.
- IEEE FDP on “Advanced Controllers for Electric Drives” on 18 – 19th Jan 2011.
- Trident Tech Lab FDP On “Emerging Trends in Electrical & Embedded Technologies.” On 21st Dec 2012.
- CSIR Sponsored National workshop on Smart Grid Technology for Sustainable Energy systems on 15th and 16th Feb 2013.
- Two weeks ISTE workshop on Analog Electronics under the National Mission on education through ICT (MHRD ) on 4th June to 14th June 2013.
- Two days Student Workshop on Mobile Robotics on 4th October and 5th October 2013.
- One week Anna university- CFD sponsored FDTP on title “Electromagnetic theory” on 17th-23rd June 2014.
- One day National Workshop on “FPGA Programmable SOC for Electrical Control Systems“ on 5th Dec 2014.
- Continuing Education Programme on MATLAB/SIMLINK AND ARDUINO Training for UG EEE students from Jan- Mar 2015.
- MNRE Sponsored International Conference on International Conference on Innovative Strategies in Renewable Energies and its Applications (ISREA-2015) on 5th and 6th March 2015.
- One day National Seminar on “Energy Storage Techniques for Renewable Energy Systems“ on 16th Sep 2015.
- Received Rs. 2,60,000 from UGC under Minor Research Project titled ”An Integrated system for Harnessing Maximum Sustainable Energy Sources for a Domestic Load” during the year 2014-16.
- Received Rs.10,72,600/- from DRDO, New Delhi under Grant in aid scheme for the project Titled “Modeling, Simulation of Control Actuation systems” during the year 2013-14.
- Received Rs.20,06,400/- from DRDO, New Delhi under Grant in aid scheme for the project Titled “Modeling, Simulation and hardware realization of Control Actuation systems” during the year 2014-16.
- Received Rs. 30,000/- from CSIR Sponsored National workshop on Smart Grid Technology for Sustainable Energy systems on 15th and 16th Feb 2013.
- Receieved Rs.2,04,700/- from IIT Kharagpur, Two weeks ISTE workshop on Analog Electronics under the National Mission on education through ICT (MHRD ) on 4th June to 14th June 2013.
- Received Rs. 40,000/- Travel grant fund from TNSCST & CSIR towards to present the research paper in 7th IEEE Industrial Electronics & Application conference on July 18 – 20th 2012 at Singapore.
Guest Lectures Delivered
- Lecture on “ Electrical Drives and Control “ on 10.8.12 at Selvam College of Technology, Namakkal.
- Lecture on “Over View of FACTS Devices” on 9.5.13 for the AICTE Faculty Sponsored FDP at Gnanamani College of Technology, Namakkal.
- Lecture on 2.5.13 on “Z Source Inverter based wind energy conversion system ” for the AICTE Faculty Sponsored FDP at GCE, Salem.
- Lecture on “ Analysis of Inverter on 16.11.12 at M. Kumarasamy College of Engineering , Karur.
- Lecture on “Power Electronics ” on 27.213 at M. Kumarasamy College of Engineering , Karur.
- Lecture on Writing and Publishing a research article on 7.9.12 at M.Kumarasamy college of Engineering, Karur.
- Lecture on “Key to Success ” on 6.7.13 at Thiagarajar Polytechnic college, Women in Development Association.
- Lecture on “ Soft Computing Techniques ” on 25.7.13 at M. Kumarasamy College of Engineering, Karur.
- Lecture on “ Neural Networks ” on 26.9.13 at M. Kumarasamy College of Engineering , Karur.
- Lecture on “Application of Z Source Inverter for Wind Energy Conversion System” for TEQIP Phase – II sponsored FDP on Power Electronics Application to Distributed Generation at GCE, Salem.
- Lecture on “Power Electronics “on 9.10.15 at Selvam College of Technology, Namakkal.
- Lecture on “Bidirectional Boost Dc-C- DC converter for Solar PV Systems” for TEQIP Phase – II sponsored FDP on Solar PV system at GCE, Salem on 30.10.2015.
Reviewers and Editorial Board Members
Reviewer for the Technical manuscripts in:
- International Journal of Automation and Computing
- European Power Electronics (EPE)
- IET Electric Power Applications
- Frontiers of Information Technology & Electronics Engineering
- IEEE Transaction on Power Electronics
- Journal of Zheijing University Science-C(Computer and Electronics)
Editorial board member in
- International Journal of Engineering Science and Innovative Technology (IJESIT)
- International Journal of Engineering Sciences & Emerging Technologies
- International Journal of Electronic Communication and Electrical Engineering
- International Journal of Soft Computing and Engineering (IJSCE)
Chair Person and Jury
- Act as Session chair for 7th IEEE Industrial Electronics & Application conference on July 18 – 20th 2012 at Singapore.
- Chairing the technical Paper session on 19.12.2012 for 2012 IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Computing Research at Coimbatore.
- Jury and Keynote address on 27.2.2013 for National Conference at M.Kumarasamy College of Engineering, Karur.
- Chair Person for National Conference on 10.4.2013 at AVS, Engineering College, Ammapet, Salem.
- Chair Person for National Conference on 28.4.2013 at Excel Engineering College, Namakkal.
Highlights of major contributions
- Serve as Principle investigator for sponsored DRDO Project.
- Serve as Expert Member for the Question Paper Passing board for End Semester Examination.
- Coordinator for several Programs sponsored from IEEE and CSIR.
- Organizing member in the National and International Conference conducted in our department during March 2007 and March 2008.
- Serving as member of Board Studies of Sona college of Technology, Salem.
- Served and serving as a member of number of Editorial board and review committees of International Conference and Journals.
- Delivered the Guest Lectures in the Power Electronics and Electric drives and control in various colleges.
- Guiding the UG ,PG and Ph.D students in their project works and presents their works in the national / international conferences.
- Guiding the students to present projects for technical exhibitions in various colleges and also at our college..
- Actively participating in the workshops and seminars conducted at various colleges in the areas of Drives and intelligent techniques.
- Examiner and question paper setter for Autonomous Institutions and Anna University, Chennai and Coimbatore.